Chicago has officially launched a security camera rebate program that will reimburse residents for their security camera purchases.
Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced Monday that the Home and Business Protection Program will now allow “anyone who lives in the city of Chicago, operates a business in the city, or owns or leases a vehicle registered to a primary address within the city limits… to receive reimbursement from the City to cover the costs of private security devices to protect their property and feel safe.”
“We’ve been on the ground working to end violence for decades, and funnel as many resources as we can into addressing the causes and effects of violence,”
Lightfoot said during a press conference. “Today, we are proud to add to the pool of resources with the official launch of the Home and Business Protection Program.”
The program, which is first-come, first-served, is entirely voluntary, and is meant to increase community safety in neighborhoods.
Beginning Monday, the city will provide “select rebates” that will cover costs associated with outdoor security camera systems, cloud storage for video footage, outdoor motion-sensor lighting, vehicle GPS trackers, and subscription costs.
All Chicago residents, businesses, religious institutions, and nonprofit organizations are eligible for the program and renters can also apply once they have received consent from property owners.
Eligible costs covered under the program include:
- Up to $225 per camera (cost of camera and tax only) for a maximum of 2 cameras, or a total $450 reimbursement
- One year of subscription costs for cloud-based video storage systems for a maximum of $150 per annual subscription
- Up to $100 per light (cost of light and tax only) for a maximum of 2 lights, or a total $200 reimbursement
- Up to $50 per vehicle GPS tracking device (cost device and tax only) for a maximum of 2 devices, or a total $100 reimbursement
- One year of subscription costs for GPS tracking applications as required for use by the vehicle GPS tracking device manufacturer up to $120
For residents to be eligible, the following requirements must be met:
- The applicant must be an owner or tenant of a…